(for on-line discussion in groups such as e-Prog)
1. Staying On Topic - This list is set up for your use, with a charter of acceptable subject matter as shown in the list description. Please help us provide a high signal-to-noise ratio by keeping off-topic posts to a minimum.
2. Editing Replies - When replying to a message sent to the list, you should remove as much of the original message from your reply as possible. Please include only that content necessary to provide a logical flow from the original message. At minimum, you should remove the author's header block and signature lines, the Onelist footer message and additional text as possible.
3. Language and Flaming - Posting extremely foul or abusive language aimed at a fellow list member is forbidden. This includes obscenities, verbal harassment or comments that would prove offensive based on race, religion, sex, age or sexual orientation. This mailing list is rated PG-13. (**see below)
Note: Watch how you
express your emotions and humor within your mail. Due to the lack of vocal and
non-verbal clues, we often need something extra to read into a message what was
intended - such as emoticons or descriptive words. Also, remember that we
have members from all over the world, and that some may not have a firm grasp of
the English language. Sometimes it helps to use an 'emoticon' to express
what you *feel* beyond what the words *say*.
4. HTML Posts - Several releases of browser software are set up to send e-mail as HTML files by default. Since some members cannot read these messages and they are also a larger strain on bandwidth, you should not use this format when sending mail to the list.
5. Mail Attachments - Do not send any e-mail to the list with file attachments. Attachments may contain viruses, and also cause an extreme waste of bandwidth. If you have something you want to make available, put it on an on-line server site and send a pointer to the list. You can also state you have it, and have people request it by private e-mail.
6. Private vs. List Mail - When replying to a message, decide if it's of general interest to the mailing list first. If not, please send it by private e-mail to the author only. Also, watch the distribution of your message when you reply. Some e-mail programs will send the message to everyone (the original author and the list), which may not be desired.
Note: All private e-mail is considered to be copyrighted by the original author. If you post such material to the list, in whole or in part, you must first obtain the author's permission to post the material publicly.
BREACH OF THESE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN A WARNING FROM THE LIST OWNER VIA PRIVATE E-MAIL. REPEATED OR SEVERE VIOLATIONS MAY RESULT IN TEMPORARY OR PERMANENT BARRING FROM THE LIST.
**Just to give an example of what PG-13 means, here's an article describing how it is used to rate films. You'll have to extrapolate that as to how it applies to a mailing list.
Rating of Champions by Amy Wallace